Sunday, January 31, 2010

And another 1 bites the dust...

As we have been noticing for the last few years, designers are slowly but surely catching on to the economic-friendly pricing trend. Though it's sad, high-end fashion designers just don't have the clientele they used to have, and they must follow their customers if they want to stay in business.

The latest fashion victim is Narciso Rodriguez. He recently announced that he will be launching an eight piece collection for eBay. It will include dresses, t-shirts, cotton jackets, and a coat (??among other things I assume??). The prices will range from $75-$350. "I've never sold anything at these kinds of prices," Rodriguez told The New York Post. "This gets my work to a wider audience."

We'll see what happens with this, but I have a question. Why eBay?? I mean who does that and why? Doesn't seem like the image I would want associated with my brand if I were a designer of his stature. "Rodriguez and eBay declined to discuss terms of their pact. But eBay spokesman Alan Marks portrayed the auction site as an outlet for designers looking to increase their distribution and appeal on more favorable financial terms." -NY Post

The line will be available Feb. 15.

In other news, I'm intrigued about this designer's 'scale-down into mainstream' collection! Sonia Rykiel for H&M. The clothes are bright and spunky with a french vibe. Above all, I really love the model they chose to represent the brand. Her hair is EVERYTHING!! Rykiel already has a lingerie line at H&M, and on Feb. 20 her clothing line launches in its stores.

Apparently, H&M is the place to go for designers looking for alternative means of marketing in these recessionary times. Many designers have collaborated with H&M, and accordingly their business is booming. Well, maybe not booming; I don't think any retailers are bragging about profits right now! However, H&M's net-profits for the 4th quarter of 2009 rose by 20.9%. Pretty good! We all love a fashionable bargain. Still wishing they had a store close to my city, but oh well...I'll make it there next time I visit NY or ATL. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment