Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My 2009 Beauty List

I was reading this month's Essence magazine, and it inspired me to do an post on my beauty products of 2009. I have been working at a beauty retailer for the past year and a half so I have been exposed to a lot of different products, and I have received a lot as gratis (free stuff!!). I am not saying that everything I will speak of is the BEST in the industry, as I have no statistics, but these products work well for me, and may be beneficial to you!

Let's start with skin care, as it is the foundation of beauty! I'll begin by saying I have slightly acne-prone skin, that is also very dry during the winter. My skin can also be sensitive, so I don't like to use a bagillion different steps in my skin care regimen. These are some of the favorite products of 2009, or rather the last six months!

*Exuviance is a great skin care line. It is very expensive though. I use the Antibacterial face wash b/c I have acne prone skin. However, I've been using Boscia Purifying face wash lately because it is a little less drying. Boscia is a natural, preservative free, skin care line, so I use it whenever possible. Both face washes remove make up well. I use DDF 5% Glycolic Acid face wash sporadically when I feel my skin is damaged. It's pretty strong, but the chemical exfoliant helps to smooth, tone, and de-wrinkle the skin.
*I use Earth Therapeutics anti-bacterial exfoliating pad while washing. Its help remove dead skin and any make up residue that doesn't come off when you just wash with your hands. Dermalogica's face brush also works well for exfoliating while washing.
*Moisturizers: Exuviance Evening Restorative Complex has AHA's and vitamins such as A & E. It moisturizes w/o the heavy or greasy feel. Murad Essential-C Daily Moisturizer has SPF 30 and gives good moisture. Mario Badescu protein night cream is good for REALLY dry or aged skin. I've been using it at night lately because my skin is so dry. It's has collagen & vitamin A.
*Murad Pomegranate Exfoliating Mask is great for reviving the skin. It's tingles as it works at removing dull skin, adding moisture, and.
*Mario Badsecu drying lotion is a good spot treatment for acne breakouts.
*I always keep my Vitamin E oil on hand. I use anywhere that is dry or needs a boost!
*Almay has the best eye make up remover pads.

Now for the MAKE UP!! I love make up!! In the past, I was the type of girl who wouldn't wear much make up because I had great skin, and I felt like "why cake on make up everyday, and mess up my skin, when I don't even need it!" However, in recent years my skin has decided to breakout more often so I have acne scars, and also I work at a store that sells make up, so now make up is one of my BEST friends!! It's surprising how much a little make up can make you look so much better!!

*Pur Minerals foundation is my everyday best friend. Mineral foundation gives great coverage while allowing a natural look, and Pur is a good one to choose because it has great ingredients (15 SPF, Shea butter as the binder, etc.). Bare Minerals is also a good mineral foundation, but they don't have good colors for people of color (my opinion). It works best for people with fair to tan skin tones. On dark to deep tones, Bare Minerals can turn greyish and cake up on the skin.
*This Smashbox brush is the BEST feeling brush ever, and gives good coverage. It retails at $50, but I bought mine on eBay for $18.
*Sometimes I use the Bare Minerals Handy Buki brush.

*My Lorac eye & cheek palette makes for a great everyday look! I really only use the two middle shadows; the matte Burgundy on my crease, and the shimmery shadow above it on my brow bone.
*I LOVE Laura Mercier's bronzer!! It just gives my cheeks & nose a golden glow!
*Bare Minerals' new Flawless Definition Mascara is my everyday go-to lash enhancer.
It works well, but I love it because it is paraben free, and it's one of the few mascaras that is paraben free and easily attainable on the market.
*That is also a Bare Minerals flawless face brush. Though their brushes are expensive, they last forever.



These are some of my favorite FUN colors!
*Mac and Lorac have some of the best shadows for blending. Urban Decay also has really great shadows in terms of color choice and blending.
*Bare Minerals Prime Time eye shadow primer. Shadow primer is very important in eliminating creasing and rub off. Smashbox and Urban Decay also have great shadow primers!
*For those frugalistas on a budget, you must try NYX eye shadows. They have great colors!
*My electric blue mascara by Splash. It's about $5 and it shows up WAY better than any of the prestige line blue mascaras that I have tried!
*I love Too Faced and Urban Decay glitter liners. A little sparkle always adds to your night look!

Hair care is VERY important to me, and more so now because I'm growing my natural hair out as opposed to relaxing it, as I have done for years! It's truly been a journey, but I will have gone a year relaxer free on January 2! As you can imagine, my hair is tightly curled, so I blow it out straight once a week.

*I just started using Brut's Bees More Moisture Shampoo. I like it because it is sulfate free, and it adds great natural moisture!
*I use several conditioners. My favorite is Joico K-Pack. Joico is a great professional line, and the K-Pak line adds moisture and strengthens with keratin. This one in particular also really helps detangle, which I need!
*Because I have dry scalp, I use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair & Scalp Treatment between washing and conditioning. Tea Tree is great for the scalp/skin, and it gives a great cooling feeling!
*Hair treatment: Prueology is the TOP of the line in hair care, and this strengthening protein treatment is great!
*I'm trying Biosilk Silk Infusion as my blow dry serum. It's makes my hair slick enough to get my round brush through it easily when blow drying. (Also try Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum & John Freida Frizz Ease)
*CHI 44 Iron guard is great for heat protection when flat ironing. I've tried cheaper brands, but I like this one because it doesn't leave the hair feeling as if it has product on it.
*Ojon is a GREAT line. The Hydrating Styling Cream is one of my favorite products. It can transform tour hair from dry and frizzy to shiny and bouncy. I put it on dry when my hair needs some attention, but the directions say to use it wet before blow drying.
*Kenra is also a great professional hair care line, and their Shine Spray is great! I like it because it's weightless, allowing my hair to stay bouncy!

Well that was my beauty bag favorites review for 2009. I'm sure 2010 will bring much more!
I will definitely be adding NARS and Make Up Forever to my make up collection.

Let me know what beauty products you couldn't live without in 2009. Your 2009 could be my 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment